Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Artist Statement

Daniel Sotelo

Artist Statement

As I grew up, art didn’t mean much to me. I did it because it was a school requirement, and while I definitely enjoyed it, it never went much deeper than that. Yet, as I became older, that changed. As new responsibilities, more work, and more stress came into my life, art became a way for me to escape. In it I found release from life and all of its problems and difficulties. In my art, I learned to explore subjects that are of interest to me, such as new places, alternative realities, and to deal with things that bother me, like old childhood fears. It helps me to understand myself and the world I live in. It helps to keep me sane in this crazy universe.
Usually, I get inspiration for new pieces from my day to day life and my memories, complimented by the art I see posted on sites all over the internet, including pieces by Salvador Dali, Daniel Richter, and Rene Magritte. I will see a piece of art that will remind me of something relevant to me, anything, and that will make me want to sketch something out; though usually I just want to get straight to the paper to get drawing.
My art to me symbolizes my growth as a person. When I look at it, I can remember how I used to be, what I was thinking at the time, my friends, dreams, hopes and fears, and then I can compare my current self to that image of me and reflect on how I’ve grown, all the new experiences I’ve had, how my expectations have evolved, and all the new skills I have acquired. It’s a chronicle of my life and how it has changed me and the world I live in.





.April

No comments:

Post a Comment