Monday, April 27, 2009

A Dream's Nightmare

A while ago I had a few problems coming up with an idea for a new piece. Finally, one day, while I was sitting around probably not doing much, inspiration struck me. I remembered back to my childhood, when on the wall of my room there was this very cute clock mounted. It had a rocking horse and teddy bears and all those cutesy things you'd expect in the room of a child. But I didn't see it that way. One night, and I don't remember if it is a dream or not, I remember seeing dark shapes, shadows, and monsters coming out of the clock, and it terrified me. From there, I realized that I wanted to show that some things, even if meant with good feelings, are not what they seem they are. So I decided that I would portray a very isolated rag-doll, with one of its button eyes falling off, a very creep face, and stuffing coming out of it. The only light source shines right on it, which makes it the most important part of the piece. I also used the 'grid' to place it where the grid lines intersect, to make it clear that it's an important part of the piece. The shadow of the rag-doll becomes this terrifying monster, which seems like it's about ready to eat the viewer. The contrast of the shadow with the white of the wall adds some great edgy-ness, The great size of the table amplifies the feeling of being overwhelmed, and of fear, and the lack of anything else but the rag-doll and the shadow create feelings of solitude and desperation on the viewer.
.February

No comments:

Post a Comment