Monday, April 27, 2009

The Mirror's Truth

A piece inspired by Rene Magritte's "C'est pipe n'existe pas". It's a play on the basic idea. It's a brain floating around in ethereal matter, with captions under it, which say "Le miroir est un illusion", which means "The mirror is an illussion". Under it there is another caption that when held up to a mirror reads "Ceci n'existe pas", which translates to "This doesn't exist". It's supposed to represent that our reality is only revaled to us by our five senses, but there is really no way to know for sure that we are here and that this reality is indeed a reality and not just a simulation. This piece is a watercolor monotype. Since it is very difficult to control watercolor, I think that I shouldn't have chosen that medium for this piece. The captions are very hard to read. If I had a chance to do this piece over, I would definetely do it in color pencil, which allows me to use much greater detail.
.December

No comments:

Post a Comment