Monday, April 27, 2009

Hope

This piece was done in color pencil. It was very laborious since color pencil needs a lot of time for it to get on the paper without leaving traces of white on the paper. I wanted to add a lot of tensipn to t he piece, so I used complementary colors, such as purple and yellow and blue and orange. I also used flat areas of shading, to add contrast, and filled the background with red, which is a great color for tension. The way I got the texture on the hair was that I first colored the hair a flat purple. I then used an eraser for both highlights and texture, since the erased away color pencil left little dots of dark color. For the edges of the hair I used an exacto knife to slightly draw out the purple from the main body of hair to create single strands of hair which would add detail to the piece. This piece is about hope and equality, about the struggle that we have had to create a world with equal opportunities for everyone. And while we are still not there, there will always be revolutionaries fighting for it.


.October

No comments:

Post a Comment